Saturday, February 7, 2009

31 :: mama by choice




Last night, on the eve of my 31st birthday, Margot and I were on a red carpeted catwalk in front of hundreds of people. The event was Off the Rack--a pro choice/sexual health (can I get a woop woop!?) fashion show, exhibiting locally-designed clothing made out of condoms and the like, to benefit the Blue Mountain Clinic. So, Savage and I and our girls strutted our stuff down that runway demonstrating our support of family and life and choice.



Savage carried a sign: mama by choice. Simple. True. Important. Nobody is pro-abortion, however without abortion, women and unwanted babes suffer. I think that people who don't support abortion should embrace their choice. They have a choice. And, my high school friend who got pregnant with her asshole boyfriend, who had asshole parents needed a choice.



And why are the people who harass young women about their choice because it is murder the very same people who support the death penalty? And bomb clinics? Why is conservatism synonymous with hierarchical power systems that make decisions for us (from war to taxes to abortion) and yet they claim they want less government?

I want my government to set up systems that allow me, my family, my friends and people I don't have anything in common with to live the best life they can live. I want my government to be a fair system that educates and supports its wide variety of people, their beliefs and their choices.



And that's why Margot and I, decked out in my condom masterpiece, sashayed down the runway in the Wilma last night. Margot and Lucille were sound asleep back stage as we didn't go on until nearly 9pm but with a little chigga chigga dancing and a yank of the pacifier bug woke and we entered stage left into bright spotlights and a giant, cheering crowd. My community. Goodness I just love my town of accepting, progressive, creative folk. Gillian danced her heart out and other participants included twenty-something, scantily-clad co-eds and sixty-something, scantily-clad grandmas. We were nervous but that audience and all of those models just full of supportive, conscientious people...I swear, I absorbed the love in that room.



In heels with our girls on or hips, we locked smiling eyes for a moment before beginning our little hip-shaking routine on the catwalk to the sweet tune of Ace of Base's All That She Wants. And let me just say that I shook my condom-clad junk in the trunk at the end of that catwalk with every little last bit of my thirtieth year. It was a great way to end a great year.

10 comments:

Gillian said...

oooh i love those pics! what an excellent evening. so many hot and tough mamas in our fair city!
happy day, girlfriend!

TRB Holt said...

Oh Bug,
I would love to be with you right now when you are reading this & saying, "That's my mama"!!! (maybe I will be)

What a great cause and fantastic photos.

Thirty never looked so good!

xoxo, Gram

Kelle said...

music....oh. so, brett says tonight 'is that the girl with the music on her blog?' okay...he didn't say that.

you have the coolest town...and so glad you include bug in all your passions. you both look beautiful!

oh...and happy birt-day. present coming. xoxo

sarah said...

i love the use of colors! and hey happy birthday!!

Kelly Hutcheson said...

What an exciting time for both of you! I knew it was bound to happen that Bug would become a model!!! I heart u both!

Melissa said...

what a cool event to participate in and share with your daughter. Happy birthday, Nici! It is especially sweet to me that you share a birthday with my Avi. Here's to a wonderful, inspiring, fulfilling year!

Anonymous said...

So now does Margot have to re-roll all those condoms and take them to Planned Parenthood? so the apron is that to practice safe saute. Love it. Margot you have quite the mom and to think she is just getting wound up. XOXO

Auto said...

Thank you so much for standing up for MT women's health!

I am listening to the hearing on SB46 right now. . . ug.

Auto said...

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

You're right! I loved this post. You and your daughter look gorgeous, and happy birthday!

Oh, yeah, woot!